Wall lamps help please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall lamps help please

by steve5 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:45 am

I want to replace the ceiling rose with single lamp for 4 wall lamps (uplighters). I'm not worried about the wiring, but we have plaster coving.
One wall is brick, the other is block.
How do you normally drop the wiring without causing damage to the coving?. It would be easier to run the conduit down the wall to 1 lamp, then across the wall to the other, are there rules about not running cabling
horizontal like this, or should they all be dropped from the ceiling?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:45 pm

There are areas in which one can run wires. Within a set distance from corners, etc. The main thing is would one expect the cables to run that way? From cooker switch 2 meter horizontal then one meter down would be accepted as thats the way one would expect it to run. But never diagonal and the way you explain the room I would not think it would be allowed. They would need to be protected and / or deeper than 50mm from surface. And to comply with the regulations horizontal cables would not really be a viable proposition. So no you can't run them horizontal under normal conditions. there are exceptions to most rules but can't see them applying here.

steve5
Apprentice
Apprentice

by steve5 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just have to chop slots in the coving and drop 4 tails.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 pm

A bit of care and patience you can drill and chisel out behind the coving.

If necessary make small hole through ceiling in front of coving to give you a reference point to work to under the floor above, then just fill that after.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:13 pm

vertical cables will not need protecting , but capping or plastic tube will protect and hold cables whilst making good wall .
And that way is the norm.

It is unlikely anyone could ever put an unprotected diagonal cable more than 50mm deep to conform.
Unless the wall was really thick

Building reg part A section 1c 31

Vertical chases should not be deeper than one third of the wall thickness
horizontal chases should not be deeper than one sixth of the wall thickness

steve5
Apprentice
Apprentice

by steve5 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 pm

thats an idea, ta

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:56 am