Wall light constantly receiving power with no aparent switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mattyg123
Labourer
Labourer

Wall light constantly receiving power with no aparent switch

by Mattyg123 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey, I'm new to the forum!

I've recently moved into my late dads house of which i've been decorating it from top to bottom for the last week, finally nearly done!!

Anyway, in the living room there is the reminents of where a wall light was... i mean the cable is sticking out of the wall, taped up of course.

After testing yesterday, i noted that it was receiving full mains power constantly. its live baby!! I checked the on off switch for the ceiling light, this had no effect....

The thing is i'm keen on placing a descent up/down lighter in the spot...

So my question is what are my options??

The only thing i can think of is finding a wall light that has its own independent switch to turn it on/off....

Or somehow fitting a switch to my preferred wall light... i dont know.

Hope you guys can help

Cheers

Matt

P.s. This will all be carried out by a qualified electrician, im just scoping my options.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 pm

hi,
seems you have covered your limited options already!
Only other thing would be to extend a cable down to a wall switch below the light, shame about decs!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Much depends on design but there are a few wireless switches both wall mounted and like a TV remote. The unit would normally replace ceiling rose but there are also types that plug in between bulb holder and bulb.
However it may be impossible to fit in a neat way only you can work that out. MK make one type and B&Q use to stock the other type.
When I wired my wall lights I used a standard conduit box to terminate the cables so it could be replace with a socket type ceiling rose if required but my fathers house just has wires sticking out of the wall which always seemed a bit of a cowboy job but 1954 when they moved in materials were in short supply. To add to their system would be hard but mine easy.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm