Wall Sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
labs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall Sockets

by labs » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:42 pm

I have changed all the wall sockets,but i notice when i switch one on/off
there is a flash at the back of the switch.The only thing i can think of is bad earth?Can any one be of help please!
Thank you

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:49 am

All switches will arc when switched and we use a variety of methods to reduce both the arc and effect. It may be acceptable or it could be a faulty switch and the more current drawn the more arcing is likely. For me as an electrician to look at the arc and say that’s acceptable or that’s not and you need to change the switch is easy. But to describe to a third party what is acceptable is another story. What sort of load is on the switch (socket) and if you move same load to another switch (socket) do you get same result. Earths are tested with earth fault loop impedance tester but any of the cheap plugs with neon testers will show if an earth is there and is better than nothing. We call them martindale testers like all vacuum cleaners are called hovers and we would always test any socket changed to ensure no silly mistakes if you remove 20 sockets and one has line and neutral other way around easy to make a mistake so always one plugs in tester just like washing hands after going to loo.
Eric

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:11 pm

that's not very reassuring! i never wash my hands after going to the loo....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am