Wallpapering a Concave Wall and Paper not Sticking to Curve

Postby Candelle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi

I am cross-lining a small cloakroom prior to wallpapering with a vinyl. I am having problems and could do with some advice please, if possible!

The room has a wall that curves from a sloping roof and goes into to a concave wall (approximately 1 m 10 wide). This ends at mid-wall height at a shelf below which is the loo.

The walls are gloss paint (which I had previously wallpapered without too much difficulty) but couldn't initially get this lining paper to stick.

I then lightly sanded the wall and then applied a light coat of Zinsser 123.

The lining paper is now adhering well everywhere but I can't get it to stick in the curve. I slit the paper at the sides hoping to allow for the bend but after an hour or two, I just get a huge air bubble (despite it initially sticking well).

Is there a way of getting the lining paper (and also the vinyl yet to go on top) to stick - and stay stuck?

Help gratefully received!

Regards

Candelle
Candelle
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby collectors » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Personally i would sand the wall with about 60 grit sandpaper & use the same wall paper paste to size the wall & paste the lining paper & leave for 10 mins before putting the paper on the wall. If its a inwards concave wall?, it could be also the paper is shrinking as it drys. I have seen decorators having similar problems & having to cut the lining paper & repasting the paper & after it dry using fine surface filler on the gap.
collectors
Progress to next rank:
60.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!