Wallpapering a Concave Wall and Paper not Sticking to Curve
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Candelle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wallpapering a Concave Wall and Paper not Sticking to Curve

by Candelle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 am

Hi

I am cross-lining a small cloakroom prior to wallpapering with a vinyl. I am having problems and could do with some advice please, if possible!

The room has a wall that curves from a sloping roof and goes into to a concave wall (approximately 1 m 10 wide). This ends at mid-wall height at a shelf below which is the loo.

The walls are gloss paint (which I had previously wallpapered without too much difficulty) but couldn't initially get this lining paper to stick.

I then lightly sanded the wall and then applied a light coat of Zinsser 123.

The lining paper is now adhering well everywhere but I can't get it to stick in the curve. I slit the paper at the sides hoping to allow for the bend but after an hour or two, I just get a huge air bubble (despite it initially sticking well).

Is there a way of getting the lining paper (and also the vinyl yet to go on top) to stick - and stay stuck?

Help gratefully received!

Regards

Candelle

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Wallpapering a Concave Wall and Paper not Sticking to Curve

by collectors » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Personally i would sand the wall with about 60 grit sandpaper & use the same wall paper paste to size the wall & paste the lining paper & leave for 10 mins before putting the paper on the wall. If its a inwards concave wall?, it could be also the paper is shrinking as it drys. I have seen decorators having similar problems & having to cut the lining paper & repasting the paper & after it dry using fine surface filler on the gap.

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

by gc1967 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 pm

When you come across situations like this paste is just not strong enough, buy good border/overlap white adhesive and apply to the part that wont stay down and roll out with seam roller, always works for me and I have been a Painter and Decorator for 33 years

Candelle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Candelle » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks gc1967.

Actually, I have not yet finished this room as I have been concentrating on others.

I did sand the whole room down and have applied lining paper over the flat walls but have not been brave enough to give the curve another go - yet... (it came away at the apex at my first attempt, hence my plea for help) I am in the middle of another project but this is on my 'to do' list for late Spring (I work v slowly!!).

When I come to start it I'll remember to use overlap adhesive and keep my fingers crossed!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Candelle

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:45 pm