Wallpapering on bare plasterboard.
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Macflame
Labourer
Labourer

Wallpapering on bare plasterboard.

Post by Macflame » Wed May 02, 2007 10:36 am

I have been stripping wallpaper in our current house and have found that the wallpaper, of many layers, has been papered directly onto the plasterboard. The result is that some of the plasterboard paper has come off with the wallpaper.
All I am left with now is a mess. Some of the wallpaper refuses to budge without taking chunks of plasterboard with it.
I have also found that the whole of the house is the same. The walls, except for the central heating cupboard, have never seen a skim or finishing coat of plaster!
What are my options for covering and making good the walls?
Is bare plasterboard common and O.K. under building regs?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed May 02, 2007 5:50 pm

There are no rules to say you should not plaster onto plasterboard but you need to fill the holes first. Probably the easiest way to do this is to buy a bag of One Coat, or Patching plaster, which you can mix and trowel on the wall a little like polyfiller. Its very sticky so do not try to get it 100% flat until it dries off a little, then, when the trowel no longer sticks to the plaster and can be trowelled over it, get it flat.,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:48 am