Wallpapering
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

Wallpapering

by bluenun » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm

This is my first attempt at wallpapering.

I have made sure the plaster surface is sound and free from dust and am using a 1000 grade lining paper.

The problem I have is when I put up the lining paper it has air bubbles showing.

I do not know if it is because I used too much wallpaper paste or what?

I applied the paste to the paper and then hung although my toolkit says to apply the paste with the roller to the wall and then hang, would this cause the bubbles behind the paper?

topdec
Apprentice
Apprentice

wallpapering

by topdec » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 pm

if they are air bubbles i would suggest it is probably 1 of 2 things, either you didnt let the lining paper soak for approx 5mins before hanging or you didnt brush the air bubbles out from underneath the lining paper.
regards
mark :wink:

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:25 pm

more likely too little paste than too much if you are getting air bubbles. eliminate this by giving an even and consistent layer of adhesive to the paper. use a sponge or brush or plastic spatula designed for the job to smooth the paper to the wall, eliminate air by applying pressure from the centre outwards.

sizing the walls will help as well. and periodically check the paper as it's drying for bubbles. glue bubbles are usually fine and will flatten as they dry out. air bubbles can be removed for some time afterwards whilst the glue is still wet.

you can apply the adhesive with a roller to the back of the paper. it helps to get consistency but is messy. i prefer a brush. and only paste the wall if you are using paper specifically designed to be hung that way. lining paper would usually have the paste applied to it rather than the wall.

air bubbles can be treated after drying if still present by injecting paste into the bubble using a syringe then pressing flat. don't forget to remove any excess paste.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:51 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:06 pm