Wallpapering tricky areas for the first - can anyone advise?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Prawncat
Labourer
Labourer

Wallpapering tricky areas for the first - can anyone advise?

by Prawncat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:51 am

Hi

I am about to attempt wallpapering for the first time. The paper has a bold pattern on it so the edges will need to be well matched. I am doing 2 walls so will need to go round an interior corner, and also round a door frame and radiator.

How do I go round the door and radiator, and how do I do the corner so the edges match up? Also, should I start at the end where the doorframe and radiator is, or do the big blank wall first and work my way round to the tricky bits?

Thanks!

Tina

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey Tina, best advice is read up on this site and others on any free advice on papering as its easyer to explain away your questions with a few pictures so you can see how others have got around the papering problems you face.

General tips and advice from my experience is to hold a roll of the paper against the wall and measure/mark out WITH A PENCIL where each roll/ sheet will fit. This will help give you an idea of where each sheet of papar will fall and should help you when looking at web sites. ( Without seeing the room ) its sounds like you should start central of the main wall so you dont end up with an odd part of the pattern here as appose to working from the problem spots first. Its always best to remove a radiator and paper behind it rather than work around it, radiators can be quite easy to move if you know what your doing. Its best in the long run to remove it and replace it once your done. If the paper your using is dark in colour and your paparing a light or vibrant colour wall my top tip is to paint a horizonatl line on the walls to match the paper where each seam will meet, this should avoid any lines from the pait beneath showing up if you miss match slightly. The first sheet you hang must be 100% straight this is very important. So take time to draw a staright line on the wall using a plumb line to get it right. Other wise as you work around the room the pattern will gradually get out of line and become difficult to match up. Always wash off with a clean cloth any excess paste as well other wise it will turn black or show up shinny. Rinse the cloth well in tepid water after each sheet hung. Avoid getting paste of the front of the paper.....and most of all take you time. If you rush you will make mistakes. Hope this helps let me know how you get on.... Dude

ndp decoratoring services
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ndp decoratoring services » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 am

sorry to contradict dude diy do not start in middle of wall. start from corners working towards the door. most papers are 52.5 cm width. from corner measure 50cm draw straight line. measure line at several points ensuring that the line is not more than 51 cm from corner if it is measure again and redo straight line. start from here working towards the door.the overlap onto other wall you then trim down with a straight edge and snap blade.
if you haven't papered before and it's a tricky pattern you may actually find it easier and cheaper to get a decorator in, you can always watch them to get tips for future. i do it for a living and believe me some papers are a real pain.
make sure you follow manufactors pasting instuctions have a timer for soak time and only do 1 piece at a time untill you feel confident. it would be easier with the radiator off the wall but take care with this.
hope it goes ok nigel.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:18 pm