Want to fit a dimmer switch but new build strange wiring!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
djmarkymark
Labourer
Labourer

Want to fit a dimmer switch but new build strange wiring!!

by djmarkymark » Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi,

I've been a reader of the forum for a few weeks and found it very helpfull. But it's come the time for me to post a question!

I have just moved into a new build and I have a light switch I wish to change to a dimmer switch. One switch controls the downlights, one switch controlls the uplights.

I opened up the switch and saw that they have wired all the neutrals together and seem to just have the live's into the current switch.... so, I can't work out what should be in my new dimmer in the two sets of L1, L2 and C (I think).

Links deleted, no external links allowed.

Anyone know how to connect the new one?

Thanks.[/img]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 02, 2007 9:12 pm

what you seem to have is feed looped in at switches instead of at light, not uncommon these days.
your original switches where prob 1 ways ie c + L1
so new ones are 2 way, no problem just connect to C & L1 as b4 & ignore L2's. don't touch neutrals at all, regards SPARX

djmarkymark
Labourer
Labourer

by djmarkymark » Thu May 03, 2007 10:55 am

[quote="sparx"]what you seem to have is feed looped in at switches instead of at light, not uncommon these days.
your original switches where prob 1 ways ie c + L1
so new ones are 2 way, no problem just connect to C & L1 as b4 & ignore L2's. don't touch neutrals at all, regards SPARX[/quote]

Ok thanks for that. I'll give it a go and report back.

(hard to see now the picture has gone!?)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:17 pm