want to replace existing ceiling rose with downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ma
Labourer
Labourer

want to replace existing ceiling rose with downlights

by ma » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 am

existing wiring as follows for the bathroom.
a have two main switches outside the bathroom door and one cable goes to centre light, which i gather acts as a ring main, cause it has a cable going to the hall light and bedroom. then another cable from this centre light goes to another centre light in bathroom, which has a cable going to kitchen lights, extractor fan and to a juction box. another cable from this junction box goes to the second main switch.
I now want to do away with the centre lights and put 3 mains down light instead which has a connector block connected to them with live and neutral wire spacing only. How would i wire these 3 together to run from the one light switch? I presume i would have to wire the others into a choc block or jucntion box, asis the wires in the centre light? what amp jucntion box would i need and is 1.5mm cable good enough for the job?
sorry im a novice but understand a bit.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 pm

There are diagrams in Projects on how ceiling roses are wired but by time you have informed LABC what you want to do and paid their fees of a £100+ and hired a loop impedance meter to fill in paper work at another £75 then likely it will be cheaper to get an electrician to do the work.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:14 pm

ma,
You will need L N and E for the new lights and this you can get from the existing central light. Rating is not a problem and 1.0 T&E will do.
Read up on zones in a bathroom and bear in mind that this is notifiable work under Part P.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:51 am

this is probably no more than a morning's work for a qualifiied spark. as it is notifiable under part p you'd be better off getting a pro in to do it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:52 pm