Warming up Toddlers Freezing Cold Room
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Warren78
Labourer
Labourer

Warming up Toddlers Freezing Cold Room

by Warren78 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 am

Hi

We have a small box room we want to turn into a bedroom for my daughter, shes 2.

Thing is, one of the main walls is an outside wall and it gets freezing in the winter. I wouldn't put her bed along that wall as it's just far too cold to the point where the sheets feel slightly damp because its so cold. This goes for her wardrobe as well, all the clothes end up freezing. If the furniture is up close the these walls then we get black spores appear, so any furniture i put in there at the moment i make sure there's quite a big gap behind it.

We have a double glazed window in there (its quite an old one) and a brick air vent which i open to circulate air throughout the room, we have a normal radiator under the window. The house is pre 1930's and has solid brick walls.

Has anyone else got the same problem and if so how did you warm the wall up?

I dont really want to put an extra heater in there as im worried she'd burn herself on it. The room is so small i dont want to add more thickness onto the wall by placing thick insulation internally as we need all the space we can get in there. I've seen insulating wallpaper but i cant see that making a huge difference, can you?

We also looked at external insulation but its such a massive, expensive job.

Would underfloor heating help? We have carpet in there at them moment but we wouldn't mind replacing it.

I've also seen inferred panels that can go on the ceiling but have read that these can be expensive to run, and they heat up the objects in the room, so not sure how this would help a cold wall - all seems like a bit of a fad anyway.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 am