washer problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gary29
Apprentice
Apprentice

washer problem

by gary29 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:07 am

have fitted to ayla triton shower the first no problem the second i have a leak from the back of the nut on the mixer assembly they are tight have used rubber washer they cut up if you tighten to much have tried fiber washer they do the same. original washers leaked tried combination of the two still no good its a slight drip from both nuts at the back and not the front where they join the feed pipes all items used to fit shower are supplied parts there is plenty of ptf on them

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:30 pm

A rubber washer should make the seal - no problem, not sure why you're having such problems.

I would try to get some more rubber washers, make sure they're the right size and try again.

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:22 pm

"........there is plenty of ptf on them"

Thats most likely your problem then. Its the rubber washer that does the work no matter how much or how little PTFE you put on the threads. I suspect you have far too much with the result that the threads tighten up before the face of the fitting mates with the washer to form the seal.

Take the PTFE off and try it without. Bet it works.

As a matter of interest too much PTFE can put so much strain on the fitting that it is quite possible to fracture it. Then you get more water than you bargained for.

Cheers

gary29
Apprentice
Apprentice

washers

by gary29 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am

Thank you gentle men for your sugestions will give it a try. the nut is going all the way on to the fixing. i tighten it slowly under half pressure still leaks give it one more turn and the washer chews up more drips. cant put any thing else to seal as it invalidates the warrenty. any more tricks i can try. i wouild be grate full of your comments

cheers GARY

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Try a smaller washer, if the washer is chewing up in the threads - it's too large.

htg

gary29
Apprentice
Apprentice

washer probs

by gary29 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 am

Thank you for the reply. the washers are the ones supplied by triton for this perticuler unit

regards Gary

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Get a plumber - lol

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 pm

"Thank you for the reply. the washers are the ones supplied by triton for this perticuler unit"

Gary - its one of two things. Either theres something wrong with the way you are doing things and frankly its impossible to say over the ether without the benfit of seeing the problem or theres something fundamentally wrong with the design or manufacture of the unit in question.

So far we've been at this for 9 days and got nowhere in reality. HE's suggestion might appear flippant but in all honesty its what you should do otherwise you'll never solve this.

Have you actually discussed this matter with Triton technical support?

Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.

Cheers

gary29
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gary29 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 am

Hi all

Thank you all for your advice. spoke to triton before contacting your selves. had a plummer round and there was a problem with the offset conector that fits to the mixer unit. it had a slight burr where the thread started so when the unit was tightened it cut in to washers on both sides slight file down and they are not seeping any more so thanks very much for all your advice

cheers Gary

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19 am