Washing Machine on Mains Supply - Does it Matter Where its Run on a Combi System?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fatfei
Apprentice
Apprentice

Washing Machine on Mains Supply - Does it Matter Where its Run on a Combi System?

by fatfei » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:20 am

Hi, on a standard heating system such as back boiler I can see why you need to run washing machines from the mains. But does it matter where you run it from on a combi setup because doesn't everything become mains supplied?

Thanks in advance

Fei

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Washing Machine on Mains Supply - Does it Matter Where its Run on a Combi System?

by proptech » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi fatfei

There is no requirement to supply a washing machine from the mains. It was quite normal for a hot/cold fill machine to be connected to a conventional tank fed system for hot, and mains for cold.
The only requirement is that the machine manufacturers instructions are followed.
These days most, if not all domestic machines are cold fill only, and normally connected to the mains.

fatfei
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Washing Machine on Mains Supply - Does it Matter Where its Run on a Combi System?

by fatfei » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks proptech in the diydoctor YouTube clip it says it has to be mains. Not that its a big issue however are all combi pipes main supplied?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Yes, a combi boiler is supplied by the mains, so the hot water outlet is at mains pressure.
I don't know where this bit about machines having to be on the mains comes from, certainly not the machine manufacturers. They have to produce machines that can be used in many different environments. There's many times that I've supplied a machine from a tank supply, mainly for reasons of reducing the noise when filling.
Is it the hot or cold that you are concerned about ?

fatfei
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fatfei » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:50 am

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Its the cold feed, I don't have a hot feed on the machine.
i recently moved the machine into a store cupboard where I plumbed it in, running cold pipe from the bath tap upstairs because it was an easy direct route. afew time since i've done this the washing machine has been displaying the h2o error. I tried various fix options with the machine without luck.
I was thinking pressure was the issue as its a bit of a coincidence its only started displaying the error since the move. Then when I saw the diydoctor YouTube clip the guy says on the video appliances must be mains supplied.
The water pressure to the machine is not too bad but not the same pressure as the kitchen as that's mains supplied.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 am