All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lilmerkin
Labourer
Labourer

waste pipe layout

Post by lilmerkin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:47 pm

hi all
im going to install a bathroom suit into a room 3 mtrs by 2 mtrs the bath will be at one end with a washbasin in the middle and the internal stack is at the other my question is
1 will a 3mtre soil pipe clear from the bath to the stack

2 can i run the washbasin into the same waste pipe as the bath

3 and in your experience do you acces the stack from inside or remove bricks from the outside to make any new conections

and just on a astetic note would a 3 mtre waste pipe on the outside of a house look odd or would it be better to run it inside and box it off

many thanks on your thoughts

regards lilmerkin

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm

I don't understand "will a 3mtre soil pipe clear from the bath to the stack".

Try to avoid linking wastes together if possible. Linking a bath and basin together will result in the bath trap gurgling when the basin is emptied. If the pipe run is long or the fall shallow, basin water may appear in the bath.

Success can be achieved with careful planning.

Neither do I understand "and in your experience do you acces the stack from inside or remove bricks from the outside to make any new conections".
Is the stack inside or out?

Generally run pipework inside the house and box off, but if the stack is outside then it can run outside and look ok.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Stelf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi
When you say a 3mtr soil pipe from the bath I presume you mean the bath waste pipe. It will require a decent fall from the bath to the soil stack and it may silt up over a period of time but if you use a spirit level and make sure you get as much fall as possible it should be OK for quite a while. It is best to run a separate basin waste pipe for the reasons given by plumbbob, but you can put a 90 degree bend on the basin waste pipe just behind the basin, pointing down to the bath waste pipe, and run the two pipes at low level alongside each other up to the soil stack. The pipes can be fitted using an anti syphon system but it is probably more simple just to run separate pipes with separate soil stack connections.
If the soil stack is inside the property, which seems like it by your post, then definitely provide access to it from the inside, do not knock a hole in the wall. Lastly a 3mtr waste pipe on the outside, which I presume is from your bath, is quite long and I would keep it inside if it was mine and box it in but fit panels for easy access.
You don't say if the existing soil pipe is upvc or cast iron which poses other problems as you may then have to remove the top section of your soil pipe and renew it in plastic from the waste pipe connections upwards.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 am