2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pencilman
Labourer
Labourer

Waste pipe leak with picture

by pencilman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Please look at the image in this link:

http://bayimg.com/OAMcNaAdh

I bought an Ikea Udden sink console and am trying to fit its grey waste hose to the origional white waste pipe and comes out of the wall. I used a pipe coupling to join the grey waste hose to the white waste pipe but it did not fit tight so I used some Marley Solvent Cement KS2 to bond the joint.

There is a lot of tension in the grey waste hose which puts too much pressure on the joint. I think this is why it is leaking. You can see I have had to use a brown box at the bottom of the picture to prop up the waste hose so that it bends enough not to sag.
I am only a novice and am unsure what to do.

I was thinking of "packing" the coupling with some sort of liquid pipe compound to make the joint tight and solid so that it can withstand the pressure the tight bend in the waste hose is putting on it.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Waste pipe leak with picture

by plumbbob » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 pm

It is probably better to replace the solvent weld coupling with a compression type. These will ensure a tight water tight seal on different diameters of pipe.

The coupling you have used is obviously the wrong size for the pipe because normally a welded joint is actually stronger than the pipe itself.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 am