DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Wat kind of boards are likely to be used in the bathroom pls

Postby lomply » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:10 pm

My house is 11 yrs old and I've discovered the area around the loo is warped where its been wet so many times and I'd like to replace it. B&Q staff unhelpfully sent me to see MDF baords but with my limited skills I know it's not MDF! I've searched the web and can't see anything anywhere, except this site, that points in the right direction. I've read how to replace a bathroom by the Doctor, so I know how to empty the loo, but what board to buy pls? Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:03 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby eddie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:03 am

What type of boards? do you mean plasterboard of chipboard flooring?

If its plasterboards try Wickes, they do an item called Aquapanel, you can see it on their wedsite under building materials then go to plasterboard.

If its flooring then you can get treated chip board, green in colour, 18/22mm thick at any builder/ diy merchants.

Same with the Aquapanel, have a look and phone around its bound to be cheaper somewhere else

Hope this helps
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Postby lomply » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:52 pm

Appreciate your helpful response Eddie, the problem is I don't know if it's chipboard or plasterboard. But your right it's green coloured and I'll certainly look at that Aquapanel in Wickes, sounds like it should certainly do the trick, saves trawling thru the Builders' yards. Thanks again :D
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:03 pm

Postby Skunkfu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:33 am

If its for the floor i would recommend "Cementboard", you can get it from Wickes. B&Q dont even know what it is, they asked me to spell it when i asked if they had it in stock :D
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Postby rosebery » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:38 pm

If it's the floor ditch the idea of chipboard it just won't survive in a wet(tish) area.

OMG - MDF? Always rely on the sheds!

As for aquapanel it's really for tiling over. The stuff Wickes normally sell is for walls - it's not suitable for floors for which Knauf have a different system - still called aquapanel tho'.

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics