Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Water Butt System

by prbaxter » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 am

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can advise. I wish to build a waterbutt system and place it in my cellar (which is level with the back garden, not below it).

I have a drain pipe on the back of the house (and one on the front).
The one on the back comes from the roof guttering, and the bathroom waste also converges in to this pipe.

What I want, is to have 2 butts in the cellar. One to collect pure rain water and the other to collect grey water (bathwater, shower, sink). Ideally, I want both butts to have a water pump each and both pump water in to one pipe - this pipe will lead to an outside tap - with 2 switches - one for grey and one for rain.

Does this sound feasible? and is the technology available?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:50 pm

It is available as its the same system a power mixer shower employs with both hot and cold going into a pump which then turns itself on when the water is called for through the valve or "tap" . This does however seen an incredibly expensive way of dealing with water which (in most cases) must be gravity fed into the cellar. Could you not raise the tanks in the garden (we do not like the thought of water being directed inside a building when the control of its entry can only be remote) and pipe the water from both tanks, via one pipe T'd to both, to a tap? Gravity and the "head" of water in the tanks would serve as a much cheaper pump and the water would still be on demand when the tap was opened.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 pm