Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ridethepipeline
Labourer
Labourer

Water coming through gaps in tiles

Post by ridethepipeline » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am

Hi guys

I had a burst waste pipe under my sink and the water has got under the tiles (the leak is now fixed) but everytime you walk on the tiles water bubbles up through the gaps between the tiles and I can feel movement in them as well.

I live in rented accomodation and would rather not have to retile the whole kitchen (this is what its looking like at the moment) as this would come out of my damage deposit.

What im looking for is some type of absorbant that I can put on the grouting to soak up all the water coming through. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

RTP

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Kenj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 am

I can not see any way to fix this, other than retiling. It may be possible to lift some of the tiles intact if water has loosened the tile cement, but you may well break some. So unless the landlord has some spare left over tiles, you could be looking at re-laying all new tiles.

If the burst pipe was not your fault, then the landlord should pay for this. Even if your carelessness caused the leakage, had the floor been properly layed and grouted, water should not have got under the tiles. Hence, you may be able to claim that the floor was unsatisfactory before you flooded it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:46 am