Water Damage to Floor Joists After Leaking Velux Window
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Teddydad
Labourer
Labourer

Water Damage to Floor Joists After Leaking Velux Window

Post by Teddydad » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a three story town house that has been empty for some time - at least a couple of years is my guess. During this time a veluxroof light has failed allowing water to come in to the bathroom. This water has then tracked down the inside of one corner of the house - along where much of the pipework is housed. On the way down it has caused horrible damp and mould growth to the ceiling of the kitchen and then the ground floor bathroom (pictures attached). There is also significant damp in the living room (off the kitchen) as there has been no airflow through the property.
I'm fairly sure that the house will dry out with ventilation and dehumidifier once the Velux has been replaced. The mouldy ceilings will all be getting ripped out and replaced anyway - so not concerned about them.

My question is - should i be concerned about the condition of the joists where the water has been running through? What should I do in terms of a survey?

Thanks in advance for thoughts / advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:17 pm