Water hammer arrester?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
damian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water hammer arrester?

by damian » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:48 am

I have a really annoying water hammer problem that I can't solve.
The problem is my water pipes vibrate when my next door neighbour flushes their toilet, so I assume we are on a shared main.
The neighbours don't report a problem so it is just my house for some reason.
When the pipes are vibrating, if I touch the lead pipe as it comes out of my kitchen floor I can feel it vibrating.
The water pressure in my house is great so I don't want to go to the expense of having my own main put in but I've got to stop the vibrating pipes!
I have seen a device called a water hammer arrester but am not sure if this would help.
I've seen on another forum someone was advised to put the arrester right after the stop cock as the water came in to the house but the water arrester sellers usually tell you to put the device right before the toilet or whatever is causing the problem and as this is in my neighbours house, it could be tricky lol!

Do you know if fitting this device would cure my problem?

Regards,
Damian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:48 am

It could be something as simple as, your pipes are not clipped or lagged and your neighbours pipes are. The pipes could be vibrating off another pipe or the wall/boxing in etc.

Try clipping you water pipes where ever is accessible, lag pipes where ever they touch another pipe or any surface. Also lagging pipes will prevent freezing, especially in loft spaces.

Gareth Thomas
Apprentice
Apprentice

re Your Problem

by Gareth Thomas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:58 am

Couple of things you can try.

1st check if all your pipework (especially under floors) has been fastened properly to underfloor joists. If not movement in the pipes can cause the noise. Secondly find out what sizes valve your neighbour has fitted in they're toilet cister. You are able to change this small valve very easily. All they do is allow for high or low water pressure. If you have high pressure you fit one type of valve, low pressure the other type. They are usually made of plastic, are Trumpet shaped, and measure about 15mm. If your neighbour has the wrong type of valve fitted it restricts the water flow, and makes the pipes shake violently.

Hope this helps.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:13 pm