All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bingjamin
Labourer
Labourer

Water hammer in multiple places not fixed by hammer arrestor

by Bingjamin » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me, or at least guide me in the right direction with my below issue, so thanks in advance.

Around a month ago I had my central heating system replaced from a system boiler (hot and cold water tanks) to a combi boiler.

As well as a number of leaks that have now been resolved, we started to experience water hammer as a result of the increased water pressure near essentially ever faucet/appliance in the house (downstairs taps, dishwasher, washing machine, upstairs taps, shower/back and toilet upstairs). We able to avoid it by turning taps off slowly, but with appliances we cant.

The company that installed the system (Heatable) sent someone different to install a water arrestor onto the pipework coming from the new boiler however this hasn't really fixed anything. They said from here it is the pipework that need securing to solve the problem, however the banging is coming from beneath the flooring of our bathroom and our second bedroom (above the kitchen).

Have read multiple places that water arrestors have to be installed close to the source of the noise, so do we think installing the arrestor at the boiler was a pointless activity? and is the best course of action to install arrestor at each faucet/appliance causing noise? Or is there a more straight forward solution I haven't discovered yet.

Securing the pipework, albeit a relatively easy job to undertake, would require pulling up carpets and boarding to access pipework in the spare bedroom and also somehow getting access to pipework under the bath (through downstairs ceiling? or working with the small amount of space available with the bath panel off?) so feels like a very disruptive and messy job, something we really want to avoid with a new born (granted, this is coming from someone with little to no plumbing experience).

Any experience of a similar issues, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Think my next course of action will be to get an independent plumber in to assess as its clear that Heatable do not want to assist any further. Or anyone they do send wont spend the time and effort to really address the problem.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Dan

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Water hammer in multiple places not fixed by hammer arrestor

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi bingjamin.
Clipping the pipe is the best solution - don’t mess about with arrestors everywhere.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:17 pm