water hammer
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plumberchap
Labourer
Labourer

water hammer

by plumberchap » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:30 pm

hi guys,new to forum but not new to plumbing
this summer i had to fit 6 remote trvs to a presurised heating system,however now the heating is on full i get water hammer at some trvs when they close them down(between numbers 3 and 4), the trvs are definately on the flow and are all less than 6 month old,the system is at 1.2 bar and has a bypass fitted with a shunt pump constantly running, ive turned the heating pump speed down to number 1 and closed down lock shields to slow the water rate through the rad, this had some success but im sure this will just move the problem to another rad,any ideas what may be causing the problem?

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:55 pm

the by-pass you say is fitted is this a automatic by-pass? What size of by-pass?

plumberchap
Labourer
Labourer

by plumberchap » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:04 am

the bypass is a 1 inch pipe going from flow to return on back of boiler with a shunt pump in the middle constantly running

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:39 pm

What boiler do you have? Why a shunt pump? Can you explain a bit more as shunt pumps are used to deliver water from a boiler to a distribution flow manifold on a reverse return system or to a low loss distribution header. These types of system are normally fitted to commercial buildings or very large houses with more than one boiler firing in sequence. Hence the reason I'm a bit confused by your description.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1