Water Heater Timings Using Economy 7 Tariff
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

Mr_Gwent
Labourer
Labourer

Water Heater Timings Using Economy 7 Tariff

by Mr_Gwent » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Hello

I have recently moved into a second floor flat which has a hot water cylinder supplied by a tank the previous occupant had installed in the attic of the building. The flat is on the top floor and has access to the attic.

My questions concern when the hot water cylinder should 'charge' or heat water according to the Economy 7 tariff. The cylinder is rather conventional and has two thermostats both set to approximately 50 - 55C. . The immersion, which I leave on all the time because of what I read, connects to the lower section of the cylinder, and the booster connects to the top. I normally leave the booster off.

Can anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that the immersion should only heat water in the cylinder during the night when the Economy 7 tariff is active?

Assuming no use of the hot water on a given day, should the immersion work during the day to heat the water which will inevitably cool somewhat? Presumably, the same would be true of water usage which would cause the cylinder to refill somewhat.

How long should the cylinder take to heat anyway? I ask because shortly after 1600 hrs today, heating water took almost half an hour and the hot water had not been used beforehand. This is outside the Economy 7 time in my area.

Also, is any reader aware of any good water level sensor for use in an attic tank which could be used to detect overflow, should that occur either through ball cock valve failure or water getting into the tank via the expansion pipe?

Thanks

Mr Gwent.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 am