DIY Doctor

Water heating system

Postby dinkydunc » Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm used to a combi boiler for heating water and have moved into an older property where there is a small square tank mounted above a cylinder in the airing cupboad. The water can be heated by the boiler or an immersion heater. Got two questions -1) why is there both a square tank and cylinder? 2) is it cheaper to heat water with the boiler (gas) or the immersion (electricity)? Many thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Steve the gas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 am


You have both facilties in case one fails.
Iirc gas is cheaper but then are you on an economy 7 tariff?
Steve the gas
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 7:07 am

Postby Dave From Leeds » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 am

Steve has answered your second question. To answer the first one, the hot water, once heated is stored in the cylinder. When you open a hot tap, some of this water is pushed out by the head of cold water in the square tank. This feeds in at the bottom of the cylinder and the hot water comes out at the top. Have a look at the diagram of an indirect cylinder on this site. The cold water comes in from the square tank (cold water storage tank) at point 2 and the hot goes out to the taps via point 7
Dave From Leeds
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:02 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics