Water in chimney breast MUST be a burst pipe - how diagnose?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MissTrimm
Labourer
Labourer

Water in chimney breast MUST be a burst pipe - how diagnose?

Post by MissTrimm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi,

Please help.....

We have a terraced house (1900s) and the chimney breast wall on the ground floor is streaming wet. The cellar below it is dripping water from the ceiling (10 litres of water in 24hrs) in ONLY that area around the chimney breast.

I thought it might be something to do with the chimney breast not being capped off properly and the rain but have had a roofer out and he said that there is nothing wrong with the chimney.

The problem is worse after the rain but I just can't see where the water is coming form unless I have a burst pipe within the chimney breast (I know some older houses have copper water tanks in chimney breast).

Can anyone help please?. I really can't afford to have the kitchen replaced and this whole thing is getting quite serious. No-one can seem to come up with an answer to what it can be.

Cheers,
heather

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Water in chimney breast MUST be a burst pipe - how diagn

Post by rosebery » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Do you have a water meter? Is it showing usage of water even with all taps etc shut? That would point to a leak and you need a plumber.

"The problem is worse after the rain"

Theres a pretty good clue there that it isn't a pipework leak. Did your roofer check the chimney flashing or just the capping?

"but I just can't see where the water is coming form"

Thats usual. Water can appear some distance from the actual site of the leak itself.

I'd say get a plumber.

Cheers

unless I have a burst pipe within the chimney breast (I know some older houses have copper water tanks in chimney breast).

Can anyone help please?. I really can't afford to have the kitchen replaced and this whole thing is getting quite serious. No-one can seem to come up with an answer to what it can be.

Cheers,
heather[/quote]

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 am