Water in floorspace
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CDJG
Labourer
Labourer

Water in floorspace

by CDJG » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm

I am replacing the floorbaords in my property and when I lifted some i have discovered there is a large amount of water in the dirt filled floorspace. There are salt deposits on the bricks below the floor about a brick high. I have checked on numerous occassions and it does rise and fall but never goes completely.
I think this may be due to the water table and maybe the old lead water supply we have.

What can i do to water proof the floor space if this is caused by the water table?

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:32 pm

CDJG

If the water is due to a high water table, then you are better off not trying to irradicate it. If you were to waterproof the inside face of the brickwork you may end up doing more damage than good.

The main potential problem will be humidity, especially in the summer months. You would be well advised to make sure the void is very well ventilated to reduce humidity which can otherwise cause timber defects to occur.

Hope this helps.

LCL

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:38 am

My Mum and Dad have the same problem in the lounge.

They get damp spores on the furniture though - sofa, and cupboards.

The concrete floor under the lounge is lower than the concrete floor under the dining room. We once pumped out the water from the lounge but moments later it refilled as we watched it. The water came from the join between the two different levels.

It never gets any higher than 6" even in heavy rain.

A builder did say to fill the void with concrete to the same height as the the other floor.

But I would like a second opinion. The floorboards do get cold so they can be insulated. They don't seem to be affected by the damp and there are air bricks in the external walls which are clear.

Can anyone offer any advice? We have had the water board out to check for leaks on the mains supply and I have checked the CH/ DHW system.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

water under floor

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 am

you need to cover that soil with concrete it only needs to be 2 to 3 inches and does not have to be pretty,but with the concrete laid its easier for the moisture to dry out and spores cant grow

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: water under floor

by jim the plumb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote="welsh brickie"]you need to cover that soil with concrete it only needs to be 2 to 3 inches and does not have to be pretty,but with the concrete laid its easier for the moisture to dry out and spores cant grow[/quote]

Will this work if i add more concrete to the concrete floor that is there already? How do i get the new concrete to adhere to the old? Or does it just sit on top?

I suppose if i do it, it's a case of waiting to see if the water rises higher than the new level.

thanks jim

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:08 pm

moderator.

how long must i wait for my reply/ post to be approved?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 pm