Water Into Air Bricks
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water Into Air Bricks

by beadie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:27 am

The design of my drive means the water flows back to the outer wall of the house. The air bricks are at ground level so that water builds up at the side of the house and goes into the air bricks and drains away. I have looked through the airbricks under the house and can see no standing water. Is this normal for the water to build up and then drain away. Would the house have been designed to drain the water away like this. It is a 10yr old house. Is there anything I can do to stop this. Based on the rain we are currently having a lot of standing water is now accumalating so I would like to know if this is normal from a drainage point of view. The Drive was laid at the time of building the house.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:54 am

This should not happen under any circumstances. Air bricks are for air, not water. See our project on French drainsd as, by the sound of it, you need to dig up the drive, certainly around the air bricks, and let any water drain down to below the foundations externally. It may be appropriate to insert a drive drain which you can find with the tools at the bottom in our project called building a driveway or path. Also see our project called air bricks

beadie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beadie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:23 am

Have E-Mailed DIY Doctor in the past and was advised it was normal for water to go in through the air bricks and will seep into the ground and away. Just advised at some point to look under the floorboords to check. Now told this is not so. This has been happening as far as I know for the last 10 years. I have only been in the house for 2years but have looked at other houses on the estate a lot seem to have been designed this way.

Speaking to friends and colleagues they all tell me that this is normal and not to worry but now I am not sure. Not sure who or what to believe.

Any other advise would be grateful.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:56 am