Water Leak on Dining Room Wall and Ceiling Coming from Bathroom Above
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
omeo15
Labourer
Labourer

Water Leak on Dining Room Wall and Ceiling Coming from Bathroom Above

by omeo15 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 am

Hi

I am not sure if this is the best place to post so sorry if not.

My shower was originally leaking through the silicone seal between the bath and tile wall and this caused a water leak patch to form on the dining room wall directly below. I sorted the leak and after a few days the patch stopped growing. However when we had another shower the leak increased and the wet patch grew significantly bigger. I checked the bathroom for previous leaks and could find no issue. After searching for a while I noticed water was dripping down the side of the bath and pooling between the wall and floor and there where 2 gaps in the silicone where the water was entering. I resealed and fixed the issue, however the stain has been growing since the past week slightly each day. How long should the stain take to dry, is this residual water left and what can I do to dry it out?

Thanks

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Water Leak on Dining Room Wall and Ceiling Coming from Bathroom Above

by lets have a look » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:55 pm

have you taken off the bath panel,it could be several things, a photo would be good

omeo15
Labourer
Labourer

by omeo15 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi

I have removed the bath panel and can find no evidence of any leak, I have checked the floor and the space between the bath and wall. I have stopped using the toilet a few days ago and I am noticing that the wet patch is not increasing in size as much as before but I am not sure if this is residual water leak that has finally dried or any issue with the loo.

the waster pipe that leaves the toilet is encased in a tiled box that I would need to remove however
I was thinking of adding food colouring to the loo cistern and flushing this to see if any evidence of a coloured stain on the wall, or would this not work?

omeo15
Labourer
Labourer

by omeo15 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi

I removed the bath panel , but found no evidence of any more leaks which I have seemed to have remedied. I stopped using the toilet a few days ago and have now noticed that the water leak patch although increasing this has reduced significantly.

I am assuming the toilet was possibly leaking or that the residual water left over has dried. I was planning to add some dye to the toilet and testing to see once flushed if a blue dye stain appeared on the wall.

would this be a good idea?

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

by lets have a look » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:42 am

yes dyed water is a good option,whenever I can't find a leak I put newspaper down,it gives an indication of where the leak is coming from,so you can eliminate the bath now it seems and start using the wc again to see if that's the cause,
put the blue dye in the wc pan first if that's ok then put it in the cistern as leak could be from the connection between the pan and cistern, but wouldn't have thought so as you must be able to see that part above the boxing and tiles

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:18 am