WATER LEAKED INTO ELECTRICS CEILING LIGHT
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LOSSATBEAR
Labourer
Labourer

WATER LEAKED INTO ELECTRICS CEILING LIGHT

by LOSSATBEAR » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 pm

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE. WATER FROM UPSTAIRS BATHROOM HAS LEAKED AND GONE INTO LIGHT IN DINNING ROOM. I HAVE TAKEN CHANDELER TYPE LIGHT OF AND DISCONECTED THE WIRE.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH HOW TO DRY OUT LIGHT AND REPLACE. AND IS IT SAFE TO USE OLD LIGHT WHEN DRIED OUT.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Make sure everything is turned off from the mains and call an electrician. There could be water sitting in the floor void and if you connect up again this could be dangerous. Take no chances with electricity whatever and please see the project on Part P of the building regulations on the website.

dmesselec
Labourer
Labourer

by dmesselec » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:25 pm

The following post should be ingnored as unsafe. Under no circumstances should anyone assume anything about electricity in the home. If there has been any damage done by the water in respect of a short circuit, the wire insulation could be comprimnised and reconnection could kill. Please do not play with electricity and see the project on Part P of the Building Regulations. Do not post electrical topics unless you know what you are taliking about. DIYDOCTOR

to save £££s calling out a sparky, turn all electric off, disconnect the light in question go upstairs and if you can take up the floor boards above the fitting, then using some old towels clean up any surplus water. DO NOT USE THE OLD FITTING FOR AT LEAST A WEEK TO ALLOW IT TO DRY THOURGHLY, make sure the cables hanging from the ceiling are terminated and made safe and turn the power back on. tomorrow evening you should be able to connect a new light fitting as the ceiling should be dry enough.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:39 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 pm