water leaving toilet cistern, no leaks
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cheesie1
Tradesman
Tradesman

water leaving toilet cistern, no leaks

by Cheesie1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 am

When i first fitted my toilet, the usual leaked from the doughnut, refitted using silicone, no leaks, as working on the rest of the house turned off cold water supply, when i looked back in the toilet cistern next day no water in there, filled again then isolated left over night, no water again the next day? No leaks anywhere? any ideas?

meanovice
Labourer
Labourer

Re: water leaving toilet cistern, no leaks

by meanovice » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Cheesie1 wrote:When i first fitted my toilet, the usual leaked from the doughnut, refitted using silicone, no leaks, as working on the rest of the house turned off cold water supply, when i looked back in the toilet cistern next day no water in there, filled again then isolated left over night, no water again the next day? No leaks anywhere? any ideas?

I'm no expert with this but there is only one place the water can be going (other than on the floor) is down the toilet, like a slow leak caused by a fault in the syphon seal, i'd check the syphon certainly.

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

by alavapint » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:46 pm

As a rule you would never know your flush valve leaked a little, because it's not normal practice to isolate your cistern overnight.
If it's dissapearing down the pan ... why worry ... as long as it's not leaking out onto the floor..!

If you have a dual flush valve, remove it an check the seating on the seal.

polishingpeanuts
Apprentice
Apprentice

leaking toilet cistern

by polishingpeanuts » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 am

alavapint wrote:If it's dissapearing down the pan ... why worry ... as long as it's not leaking out onto the floor..!

I would 'worry' a lot! erm....water meter!

The cistern should hold water. There is obviously a problem with the flush valve or its set up/installation.

It's a pain (but a no cost option) to let it drain, remove it and start over, paying close attention to the instructions (check out the manufacturers website for info too) and fingers crossed. You sorted it, even if you don't find out quite why!

Ian

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

by alavapint » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Sorry I had'nt noticed a water meter being mentioned ... but my thought was at least it's leaking into the best place (the pan), rather than into a neighbours ceiling space ... and 'Yes' it does need fixing.

By the way most older people I deal with seem to have this absolute fear of losing water through a drip ... and then having to pay for it if they are on a meter.
My explanation is ... Water costs about 90p a cubic meter..
A cubic metre is about 220 gallons..
( They understand Gallons )
220 gallons will give you around 4 baths..
1 bath will cost approx. 20p ..

Dont loose sleep over it ..!

polishingpeanuts
Apprentice
Apprentice

by polishingpeanuts » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Ah, take no notice of me, I was just being grumpy :D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:56 am