Water Mark on Ceiling Under Ensuite Bathroom
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

PaleBlueDot
Labourer
Labourer

Water Mark on Ceiling Under Ensuite Bathroom

by PaleBlueDot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi - this is probably a very stupid question, but I am lost when it comes to home maintenance.

My issue is that I have a water stain (and now a bit of mould) on my kitchen ceiling. It began about 6 months ago and has gradually worsened. The beginning of this problem coincided with a new kettle I'd bought and as the kettle is underneath this stained area of ceiling, I just assumed it was due to that. However, it's just occurred to me that the growing ceiling stain is directly under the shower and sink in the ensuite upstairs...... I haven't used the ensuite for a few years, as the shower is broken and I can't afford to replace it. So, I just use the main bathroom (which is not above the stain).

So my question is: is it possible that the shower or sink in the ensuite are leaking, even though I don't use them? And is there a way to find out if they are leaking without pulling the ensuite apart? As money is tight, I'm keen to see if I solve the issue myself.

Obviously, I have now moved the kettle in the kitchen, to try and see if that's the cause, but if it is the cause then it won't become evident for a few months and I want to try and find out sooner than that, if the ensuite is leaking!

Thank you for any advice.

It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:23 am