Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steverino
Labourer
Labourer

Water seepage behind shower tiles

by steverino » Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi,

I have recently moved into a new home and after a few weeks have noticed a yellow discolouraton/stain appearing on the wall the opposite side to where the shower is. I think the sneaky occupants that sold us the house emulsioned over the stain so we would not see it.

I have ripped out the first few levels of tiles from the shower tray up and the wall behind is indeed very wet up to about 10 inches then dry, from the otherside the plaster is soft and springy to the touch where the stain is (about 1ft square). I think this is nothing more than water leaking behind the tiles over a sustained period of time, however my question is whats the best way to fix the problem.

Obviously I need the wall to dry out before I do anything, I would imagine if the water has gone past tile, through plaster, though a brick wall and through plaster again, this has been happening for quite some time!

After the wall is dry from the tile side, should I water seal it? what is the best product for this?

What product should I use to reseal the tiles to the shower tray once I put them back up?

Will the plaster on the other side of the wall be ok when it drys or should I get a plasterer to do a repair patch jobby?

Is this even the best way to go? Your help would be much appreciated.

From a DIY novice.

Many thanks

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Water seepage behind shower tiles

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:13 pm

First things first, you have to stop the leak, if there still is one. There's no point doing anything until you are satisfied that this has been solved.

If the tiles are sound then there might not be a need to replace these. Then you can focus on the grout, which will need to be 'freshened up'. You can either rake out the old grout and replace with new. See more info about this here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/replacinggrout.htm

If the grout is not too bad and simply discoloured you can reseal the grout. We have recently reviewed a product for doing this, which is pretty good. Find out more here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/product-rev ... review.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:15 am