Waterpik in Bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barryjcrowe
Labourer
Labourer

Waterpik in Bathroom

by Barryjcrowe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 pm

I purchased a Waterpik which has a shaver two pin plug on it but when I plug in to the Bathroom shaver socket the Waterpik (water teeth flosser) fades out. It works Ok with an adapter in a standard wall outlet. What are my options? Can I get an RCD socket to replace the shaver outlet giving me full output without contravening the regulations. Certainly in American hoels they have coffe machines adjacent to wash hand basins plugged in to RCD protected outlets.

Barry

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

To comply with British regulations any socket in a room containing a bath or a shower (This includes bedrooms) needs 3 meters between socket and bath or shower (Zone 1). Although this allows power in bedrooms with showers fitted most bathrooms are not big enough to allow a socket to be fitted.

Plus of course RCD protected at 30ma.

The special shaver sockets are limited to 20VA or 87ma any item under that should work.

Looking at web site for waterpik it states "This unit requires mains power and cannot be powered within a UK bathroom." See Google "waterpik.co.uk/oral-health-products/dental-water-jet/ "

They also do a cordless and it would seem if you want to use it in a bathroom you should get cordless model.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 am