All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
likelekki
Apprentice
Apprentice

WC LEVEL KEEPS RISING!!

by likelekki » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 am

Hi guys,

I have a smalll but annoying probelm with my new loo. I fitted a back to wall pan and concealed cistern myself a few months back and its been fine. Just recently i have noticed when i flush the loo the water level comes right up to almost the lip of the rim. This is regardless of whether its been a number 1 or 2! (sorry to be so crude!) I have plunged it a few times just incase it was a block but it really doesnt seem to be. I have adjusted the cistern so the water level in the cistern is at its highest and the full flush is at maximum capacity - i did this in order to plough mor water down the pan as it seems as if there is not enough 'flush force' to sufficiently push the water over the ubend. I should probably mention that i have one of those 'concertina' style flexi wc wastes as its in an awkward bit of box-work. I am really cheesed-off as it was working fine but it seems to have developed a fault which 'dont seem right to me!!
Any suggestions would be greatly valued,
Cheers, and happy new year.
J :lol:

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:16 am

You don't need "force" to clear it. There is a built in syphon in the pan.

I don't think the pan has developed a fault. I suspect you have a blockage in the "concertina style flexi waste".

Cheers

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm

you may find the flexi pan connector is higher than the outlet pipe of the pan this causes water to sit in the pipe an this causes the water to rise but if its coming up to the rim this would be a sign of a blockage,normally
bob

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Yes, got to be a blockage somewhere in the pipes. Listen for gurgling in the bath or basin which points to the obstruction being further down the line. If you are in a bungalow, it may be an idea to inspect the external pipework first by lifting any manhole covers before dismantling your installation.

likelekki
Apprentice
Apprentice

by likelekki » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:57 pm

it difficult to get to but i have tried to push the flexi pipe down more but i'm worrried about pulling it out of the back of the pan! the slight tweak has made a tiny difference but the water level still rises when you flush and slowly reduces down to the right level in the pan after a short time (but not as quick as it should) Im sure there is no blockage, is there anything else i could try?
many thanks
J

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 am

"i have tried to push the flexi pipe down more"

How is the soil pipe oriented in relation to the pan spigot? Is it horizontal going out of the wall or is it vertical in the floor?

"but i'm worrried about pulling it out of the back of the pan"

Do you mean off the back of the pan or do you really mean out of? If you mean "out of" has the flexi been forced [b]inside[/b] the spigot? It should be on the outside. If the installer actually managed to get it inside in the first place then there's a primary obstruction waiting to catch stuff from the word go.

"the slight tweak has made a tiny difference"

Is the flexi kinked in any way?

'Nother coupla questions:-

Did you use a flexi because of a height difference between the pan spigot and the soil pipe in the case of a horizontal soil pipe or to achieve the necessary "bend" for a vertical soil pipe?

With the WC pan in it's correct location what is the distance between the pan spigot and the soil pipe - vertically and horizontally?

I'm asking these questions because there are many and varied designs of pan connector on the market. A flexi might not have been the best choice (of course I could be wrong) although possibly providing the simplest solution and an alternative could be suggested.

Cheers

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:43 am

Follow this link to a range of pan connectors.

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=14398 ... 071&m=1228

likelekki
Apprentice
Apprentice

by likelekki » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi there guys,

thanks one and all for getting back to me...

just to answer a few questions above -

I installed everything myself, the back to wall pan's is up against some boxwork which conceals the cistern and soil pipe.

The spigot is very shallow (and yes the flexi pipe is on the outside ;-) ) It is also set quite far back so the distance between the spigot and the soil pipe isjust under a foot. the soil pipe is at a right angle to the pan so the flexi is going back from the pan; into the boxwork and then sweeps right (at 90deg) into the existing soil pip then into the stack.

The soild pipe sits almost right on the floor (maybe a cm off the floor?) so is quite low but cannot be levered up any more as this would wnd up being higher than the spigot.

The flex pipe is not kinked as far as i can see, again the fit between the flexi pipe flange and the spigot isn't fantastic. there isnt any play but it isn't that difficult to pull off. (cheap shoit probab) so i dont want to wrangle it too much! but i might have to i guess...

i will look at the manhole outside to see if there is anything blocking there, my bath and sink are not finished yet so i cant check the stack for blockage yet.

Mayeb it would have been better to use a standard plastic rightangle but at the time i could not find on that was long enough..

will let you kow what the results are when i have a look today in the meantime thank you for your help and keep posting if youthink of anythign else!!

Cheers :lol:

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:34 am