Wet rot
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ben77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wet rot

Post by Ben77 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi there

Recently had a damp survey done due to some isolated patches on one of the external walls. The surveyor found no evidence of rising damp but said there was some wet rot decay to four of the joists which he thinks is very long standing. He said the cause of this was due to rising moisture vapour off a damp over site and restricted ventilation where unprotected joist ends are in contact with damp sub floor brickwork. The sub floor ventilation was considered to be poor with existing air vents partially blocked.

He has recommended installing 8 - 225x150 air vents and replacing the affected timbers. This is my problem. To replace the timbers I would have to remove and replace fairly newly fitted amtico flooring which will cost a fortune. Like most people im sure, we are now feeling the pinch of this recession and to put it boldly, have very little money and are expecting our first child at Xmas.
My question is:

If I install the recommended air bricks and somehow dry out the affected timbers, (was thinking hair dryer) will this halt any further decay and therefore prevent the need for me to remove the amtico flooring?

Many thanks

Ben

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wet rot

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm

The rot will not stop even when it dries out,eventually it will have to replaced.But it will probably last a while,so for the moment install the airbricks and when you can afford it relace the joists.

Ben77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben77 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Okay, thanks for the advice. In addition to the air bricks should I attempt to dry them out with a hair dryer etc or not bother???

Ben

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm

you will be there forever, the air circulation will dry out the moisture

Ben77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben77 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi welsh brickie, thanks for the advice. Would you recommend spraying the timbers with a treatment such as microtech dual or wickes interior wood treatmentl? If I can preserve what's already there I'd like to. Really, I want to avoid having to remove the amtico at all costs.

Thanks again

Ben

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:21 pm

anything really is better than nothing,Im not an expert on the best fluid to use sorry.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

Hi All

Just an update to any viewers of this post - we now have a dry rot and wet rot diagnosis and treatment project that may be of some use: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/dr ... gnosis.htm

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 am