What are These Profiles and What do I Replace Them With?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

Diytony
Labourer
Labourer

What are These Profiles and What do I Replace Them With?

by Diytony » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:10 am

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I'm just re-felting the bottom layer of my garage as it's rotted out down the bottom, so I've removed the bottom 3 rows of tiles to do so.

All good so far. However, at each end there's some profile 'boards' to hold the mortar I presume. Not thinking much of it I simply removed them (they came off fine).
However when I asked on Facebook if anyone knew what they were and where I could get replacements I was horrified when someone suggested that they could be asbestos.

The house was built in 1982. I'm hoping they're just fibre cement of a non toxic variety. I've not overreacted as I didn't drill or cut them, but did smack it with a bolster to snap it at the repair line. So my concerns are :

- Is it likely there asbestos given the year of the house?
- I realise the ones in place still are fine but what do I replace the ones I took out with these days and where do I buy them?
- I've taken precautions after the possibility was made known to me and bagged them up (masked) and taped it up. Where do I dispose of them?
- Lastly and by no means least, just how much danger would I be in?

Please go easy on me. The job itself has gone very well and I took advice before doing the job, but this possibility never crossed my mind until I'd taken the bloody things off.

Thanks for any advice!
T
Attachments
rps20180715_020949.jpg

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am