What finish do I use to match colour?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wolfie882
Labourer
Labourer

What finish do I use to match colour?

Post by wolfie882 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi all,
I have 4 small items of hardwood furniture in my hall which were purchased pre-assembled from an oak furniture manufacturer.
I have engaged a carpenter to install a large built-in cupboard unit in my hallway. The existing furniture is made from European oak and has a light mellow tone with a slight satin sheen. I am having great difficulty in finding either an oak veneered MDF sheet product or an oak veneered plywood sheet product which is, off-the-shelf, anywhere near the colour of the existing furniture. The samples I have seen are either too gold/yellow or too white in tone. I am assuming that it will be best therefore to purchase a light shade timber and then add a finish to try and get as close as match as possible to the furniture. I know I probably won't get an exact match. But what product(s) would I need? I am totally confused by the stain, varnish, dye and oil products on the market. I presume a satin stain followed by a clear varnish would be an option, assuming I can find a stain with an acceptable colour match. Any advice is very welcome.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What finish do I use to match colour?

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi wolfie882,
Whatever you buy it will naturally darken down over time. Use a stain (a liquid colourant) to get a lighter colour, varnish on top and then in 6+ months time retreat with a coloured varnish to get the colour you want.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:55 pm