What grade concrete for Conservatory steel base pads ?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tadger
Labourer
Labourer

What grade concrete for Conservatory steel base pads ?

Post by Tadger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi all....

I'm sure that most regulars on this forum will turn those noses up at the thought of a steel base conservatory... but in this situation this is what has been decided - Parents know best apparantly - but I've been roped in to do the manual labour.

The base requires 5 concrete pads - 450mm X 450mm x 450mm cubes.

We're going to have to use drymix 25kg bags - due to access restrictions etc...

I've a had a quick look at the Hanson stuff (can anyone recommended (better) alternatives - and it seems I have a choice of 2 of their products.

One quotes 40N/mm2 for compressive strength and and the other 20N/mm2.

Its a full height glass conservatory, not dwarf wall, and with fully glazed roof, not polycarbonate.

So would 40N/mm2 be overkill ???

Pseuffi
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What grade concrete for Conservatory steel base pads ?

Post by Pseuffi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 am

Hi,

It looks likewe have ordered the same type of DIY conservatory and we will be building soon. Have you found an answer to your question? Similarly we will need 5 holes of 450mm L-w-h and they say 9*25kg bags of ready mix concrete. Is this what you have used in the end?
Do you think it would have been possible to use foundation blocks as some steel base videos show this?

Many thanks!
Kind regards
Stephanie

ConcreteDrBill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What grade concrete for Conservatory steel base pads ?

Post by ConcreteDrBill » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm

In the absence of any guidance from the conservatory supplier go for the 40N stuff, may be a bit belt and braces, but should help you sleep at night.

All the big boys (Lafarge, Tarmac, Hanson etc) seem to do both a 40N concrete and a lower strength one (Multi-Purpose?)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:17 am