What is best real wood or laminate flooring?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zandi
Labourer
Labourer

What is best real wood or laminate flooring?

by zandi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 pm

I know it sounds daft but i really would like to know the diff and which is easier to lay? I really like the look of solid bamboo.Any ideas how much time it will take to do a room of about 5 x 7? Am i better off getting someone to do it for me and what is a fair quote?

TAhnks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 pm

I prefer laminate as it is stronger, real wood floor will mark easily if someone walks across with heels on, a plate is dropped or a dog is bounding around.

I quite enjoy laying laminate flooring. I have done 6 rooms now and have had no problems, the first took the longest but you soon learn the quick way and how to cut those awkward bits.

The best advice I can offer, and is what I have done everytime. Is to take off the skirting boards and renew when the flooring is down (if possible) - looks better than having beading all the way round.

Also at the architrave I found it easier to lay the flooring up to it - mark with a pencil and cut the architrave, the flooring then slides under it - rather than trying to cut the floor to fit round it. it gives a good finish with no annoying gaps or dodgy cuts.

htg

danneva
Labourer
Labourer

by danneva » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 am

Making the right flooring will require finding out all the facts and information before deciding on what flooring to have. However in maintenance, the biggest problem in maintaining the floors is water damage. Bamboo is sealed against water damage, but despite that, water easily damages the floor. Laminate floors are not sealed, and water can do significant damage to them. Laminate floors are not recommended for kitchens or bathrooms for that reason. A good assessment of the area will result in choosing the best flooring for a room.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:34 pm