what is it
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

what is it

Post by rambo77 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm

hi there i moved into my house 2yrs ago the front of the house has been modernised ie a bay window has been put in it looks as though at some stage there has been a bit of a leak possibly through the lead flashing as the are browny coloured stains along the top of the the ceiling inside the bay now iv discovered that there is a white powdery stuff keeps apearing down one side of the wall and it seems to be spreading and in some areas the emulsion paint feels like it has become blown and behind one picture frame im getting a green mould...im just about to redecorate but i need to find out what this problem is first and how i go about putting it right would replastering the area work or rubbing down the loose paint and and re painting im a keen diy'er and can do most things myself but any help on this subject would be appreciated
regards

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:52 am

All signs of damp still in the wall so find the leak and seal it first. Its absolutely no good doing anydecorating while the salts (white powder) and mould are still allowed to develop in the wall. Sort out the cause of the problem and the effects will go away with a food scrub with bleach. If you try and deal with the effects only, by decoration over them, it will return all of the time.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:58 am