what is the best glazing material for a restored open front tennis pavilion?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
1novice
Labourer
Labourer

what is the best glazing material for a restored open front tennis pavilion?

by 1novice » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:10 pm

I have restored the tiled roof and back timber walls of a 6m*2m oak framed tennis pavillion built in 1933. The building has three front bays, each roughly 2m by 2m open to the elements. The center bay is the entrance open to ground level and the two side bays are 1.92m wide and 1.22m high with oak ledges and a shallow timber wall beneath.
I plan to glaze the building but only to seal openings with no insulation.

I am considering solid polycarbonate sheet because its strong, durable and much cheaper than glass and insulation is not an issue.

Is clear polycarbonate sheet the most appropriate choice?
if so what thickness sheet do I need to span 1.92m by 1.22m openings. 6mm 8mm or 10mm?

(The windows will be east facing in a protected patio area).
I also plan to put a (glass or polycarb sheet) door in the centre bay (1.92m*2m) in three sections with the middle section 1m by 2m (hinged or sliding) and the 46cm side sections static.
Is polycarbonate clear sheet suitable for a frameless clear door as a glass substitute and if so what thickness sheet do I need for a 1.0m by 2.0m door and sides. 6mm 8mm or 10mm?
I am a complete novice and don't understand the numerous trade names for polycarb sheet products so any informed guidance would be greatly appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: what is the best glazing material for a restored open front tennis pavilion?

by welsh brickie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 pm

An acrylic sheet is as expensive as glass in my opinion, The thickness you will need will out weigh the cost of glass. You will definatly need toughened glass 4mm thick, laminate glass will work out too expensive

1novice
Labourer
Labourer

Re: what is the best glazing material for a restored open front tennis pavilion?

by 1novice » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks I will investigate glass as well as polycarbonate.
Just had an Atlas 6m*2m dbl glazed glass roof installed for over £4k so Im not that keen on glass for budget reasons. Perhaps the single sheets would be much cheaper.
Thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 am