What is the Notched Beam in Ceiling?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
obiwanzamora
Labourer
Labourer

What is the Notched Beam in Ceiling?

by obiwanzamora » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm trying to modify the wiring in ceiling above light fitting. This is to fit a Sonoff Basic for automation purposes. However, having removed the light fitting there is very little space that is not obstructed by the ceiling joist. I can see the main joist as expected but there is another piece of timber adjacent to it with a notch cut out to allow the 3 cables to go through. This notch is not big enough for what I need to do. So my question is:

- What is this piece of timber? It doesn't seem to be a joist or strut as it's parallel to the joist?

- Can I safely drill through it to create more space?

IMG_1976.JPG

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: What is the Notched Beam in Ceiling?

by greengrass » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:21 pm

looking at the photo is appears the rafter to left looking down on photo was short so its been extended by another and both rest out of site on a wallplate the two will be nailed with cut nails or bolted together. Choice is your drilling another hole I feel wont make much difference but if in doubt call structural engineer from council its at a cost. Many times come across this in houses I have bought and also again in bungalow I live in now where the floor joists are short there is an extention joist at side of it, as also there is in the garage roof.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:34 pm