DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What kind of bulb fitment is this for this light fixture?

Postby EasilyConfused » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 am

Apologies if this is a stupid question but what kind of bulb do I need for this light fixture? I've not seen this before?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:19 am


Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:40 pm

You would be better off if you turn the mains off, and change that to a normal pendant lamp holder, then turn the mains back on, insert "normal lamp" and turn it on.

The "thing" you have is a ballast for a 4 pin, 2D lamp. You may find that if you get a new lamp it does not work as the ballast has failed (Not unusual) I am not saying it has failed, just that without a new lamp you will never know, but 2D lamps were never popular. (They are not the nicest looking lamp either.)
Mr White
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Postby ericmark » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:57 am

They are not 2D they are GSP01 but the problem is can be 10 to 26 watt and data sheet says 64 to 110 volt depending on size, so I would assume there is some sort of ballast to drive them.

In the main you need a ballast to match the lamp, there are some electronic ballasts that will work a range of lamps, the lamp was very short lived, you can still get the bulbs, but I have never come across them, know they exist, but the compact fluorescent with everything built in came out and the lamp you show went out, but here is advert for 18 watt version ... zkQAvD_BwE
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Postby Mr White » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 pm

ericmark wrote:They are not 2D they are GSP01

The lamp has a variety of names, depending on where you enquire. The most common name is a 2D lamp.

@EasilyConfused, do as I first suggested, change what you have to a "normal" lamp holder Click here example.

As I said previously, the "Thing" is a "Ballast" and it is not unusual for these to fail, so a new lamp would be a waste of money, and the units are fast becoming obsolete.

For interest, if you enter (As suggested) "GSPO1" into google you get anything but a lamp Click here Then press enter. (A Typo I guess?)
Mr White
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Postby chriscba » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:26 pm

You can get an adapter if you want a quick fix, you can fit a standard lamp. See below…. ... 635-2958-0
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Postby Mr White » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Nice find chriscba, sadly the item is out of stock.

Also, if you read the information provided by the seller it clearly says.

ebay seller wrote:If there is ballast inside fixture, need REMOVE it when replace Pin based CFL with LED E27 Bulb

I am not going to mention that most "standard lamps" are B22 (Bayonet) and the adaptor is E27 (Screw in)


Note from myself:
The OP wants a simple, cheap fix. I am pointing out "errors" with suggestions, it is NOTHING PERSONAL.
Mr White
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics