What's normal splitting / movement in a new closeboard fence
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
anteateruk
Labourer
Labourer

What's normal splitting / movement in a new closeboard fence

by anteateruk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi

We have just had a relatively long run of close board fencing installed and have been worried by the splits and warping that seem to be occuring. I am trying to establish what is normal. The contractor involved says it is not normal and the wood was not seasoned correctly, but the wood supplier has said it is normal.

I appreciate some movement is always going to happen but some of the boards have split and the slight warping of the arris (?) rails is not helping. A gate installed shows a shut gap that goes from 0.5 - 1.8 cm according to weather conditions.

I have been told by the contractor that replacing the split boards is easy but that lots of other boards will get damaged in the process. The supplier will not re-supply replacements for any split boards as it is "normal"

Any advice on what I should expect is appreciated.

Thanks

Brad
[/img]

snapper
Labourer
Labourer

Fence Contractor

by snapper » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Brad

I assume your fencing contractor also supplied the materials?

Considering the contractor has already 'confirmed' the fence is defective by stating that the splits and warping are not normal then it really is up to him to sort out the fence [i]at his cost[/i] (The Contractor) to an acceptable standard to yourself (The Client) and for him to deal with the timber supplier as the supply contract would be between him and the builders merchant and not yourself.

Any contractual involvement you have is between yourself and the fencing contractor for the contractor to 'supply all labour, materials and plant for and to erect an X mtr long, X mtr high Close Board Fence.

As an aside, I hope you wrote down exactly what you wanted from them? Always helps when this happens! Even better did you use a suitable contract from the JCT range of contracts? 'blanks' designed specific for the home owner to use, although personally I always go for at least three written quotes and use the JCT Minor Works contract forms when I let a contractor loose on my house.

To date, 4 lots of work let, first was to get the drive re-paved (the 'traveller' who first offered to do it ran away when I waved the contract for him to sign up to lol) replacement of a flat roof, two new windows and funny enough 30ish mtrs of close board fence!!! All done properly and to a good standard and within budget too. Easy.

Admittedly, it does help if you do this sort of thing as a day job too...... :wink:

onlyme4
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What's normal splitting / movement in a new closeboard f

by onlyme4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 pm

What is normal for closeboard fencing is written into British Standard 1722. That provides guideline for installing closeboard fencing which most local councils and government institutions, railways, etc will use to erect closeboarding.

berkshire fencing
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What's normal splitting / movement in a new closeboard fence

by berkshire fencing » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi there is no normal allowance for spitting or warpage here as there are many variables including time of year, moisture content and types of materials used etc...

Hope that helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am