What Size Screws for Attaching Ladder Shelves
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gilbo777
Apprentice
Apprentice

What Size Screws for Attaching Ladder Shelves

by Gilbo777 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:31 pm

I've just bought some ladder shelves to put my hi fit on but they don't come with screws to attach to the wall. Please can someone advice on the best size screws to use? They are 198cm long and weigh 23kg, but are attached to the wall with just 2 screws. Could I use concrete screws as it's a brick wall?

Gilbo777
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What Size Screws for Attaching Ladder Shelves

by Gilbo777 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Change of plan, I now plan to fix it to a plasterboard wall. Do you think a Redidrive / self drive screw would be ok. Most seem to be appropriate 35mm

This may seem a basic question, but I'm nervous of getting it wrong

thedoctor

Re: What Size Screws for Attaching Ladder Shelves

by thedoctor » Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am

Hi

When fixing to plasterboard it is always best if you can locate an upright or horozontal stud using a stud finder so that you can fix directly into this as this will provide teh strongest fixing, but if this is not possible, then Redidrive (or easy driva as they are also known) will be about teh best and strongest option.

Although reasonably strong, you have to remember that you are fixing into plasterboard and this will have a finite load amount, so you can't apply too much weight and as you say, if it will be 23kg then this I think will be too much, so you may be better off going for the concrete screw route and fixing into the brickwork.

We do have a project on fixings that you may find useful here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixing.htm

Hope this helps

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 am