DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What the name of the rails for hanging shelves in Garages

Postby HeWhoWalksAmongUs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi, My Dad has a large 4x10 area of shelf in his garage.
This is a made up of a wodden base which is held up by a metal rail. The rail is held up by a threaded bar which is connected to a metal strap around the roof joist.

I have a similar garage and I want to set up a similar hanging shelf for more storage, but I do not know where to look for the parts.

What is the metal rail called? It has holes along its legth to bolt the wood to it and to bolt the threaded bar to it.

What is the name of the metal strap around the joist? What kind of fixing do I need to attache the threaded bar to this "strap"?

Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 am


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics