What to do About my Leaking Double Glazed Hardwood Windows?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

Simon1953
Labourer
Labourer

What to do About my Leaking Double Glazed Hardwood Windows?

by Simon1953 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm

I have some double glazed hardwood windows which I installed in 1987, many of which have suffered water penetration of the glazing panels, indicating breakdown of the seals between the panes. 3 of them are on a rendered wall, and replacing the entire windows would mean a lot of the rendered finish would be disturbed and need replacing. I have a few options in mind:-
1. Repair the existing DG panels, using the resealing method described in a recent guide on this website.
2. Split the units into single panes(they are made of one pane which is 6.4mm laminated glass and another being 6mm toughened glass to BS 6206A) then simply single glaze the hardwood frames.
3. Replace the entire windows, glass & frames, with modern uPVC windows.
I don't want to scrap the high spec glass I bought in 1987, or the hardwood frames which are mostly still fine, but is it worth making any great effort to save windows which are now below modern standards? I know window technology has come a long way in recent years!
Any ideas, folks?

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:03 pm