DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What to do with interior wall - old cottage

Postby headsid » Sun May 01, 2022 11:02 pm


We have a 18th century cottage that's a bit of a renovation. We've recently ripped the kitchen out of one of the downstairs rooms ready to make into an office.

After taking off the tiling and the cupboards, it's taken some good chunks of the plaster off, which has revealed some plastic slatting. Wondering if anyone knows what this is? I tried searching Google but not getting any joy.

The metal backboxes that were sunk into this wall have gone totally corroded. On the one by the window this is because the gutter in the corner was blocked and there was a puddle in the back box, but the others were technically dry, but clearly get at least moist probably in winter or at least related to the fact this was a kitchen and it was behind the cooker etc.

Wondering what to do with the walls. I had intended to plasterboard over it but I think more needs doing to address the damp that must be in that void between the exterior bricks and the inner wall. Should I remove the existing interior side (including this slatting) and build a stud infront of it so it can be insulated?



Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 am

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics