DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What type of filler for this foam material around window/windowsills?

Postby westbury18 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 pm

I’m redecorating a room. Around the window, there appears to be a foam-like surround, which has been plastered over and painted with gloass. There are now pits in this plaster (probably because the foam is spongey underneath), and some has come away, exposing the foam underneath. What’s the best way for me to rectify this? Do I need it replastered, or can I use a particular type of filler and sand it and paint over? Any advice about what fillers to use is welcome - thanks.
How do I sort this out?
The area I need to correct
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Hi westbury18,
It's looks very much like pipe insulation so there may be a live pipe within it. It is unlikely that any plaster type material will remain sound with such a thin covering over a flexible background.
The best way to conceal this would be with Upvc skirting but stick this on, do not use mechanical fixings.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5514
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics