What Type of Fixings Could Hold French Doors Inplace Between Living Room and Dining Room?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Polly1
Labourer
Labourer

What Type of Fixings Could Hold French Doors Inplace Between Living Room and Dining Room?

by Polly1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi.

I'm looking for some advice. I have a set of french doors separating my living room from my dining room, which in turn leads through to my kitchen. The doors span the entire width of the room, with a fixed glass french panel either side and double doors in the centre.

We have no access to the kitchen other than through the living area, going on into the dining room and then onto the kitchen. So we are constantly walking through these french doors. The french doors open into the living area and fold back against the side panels and that's how we generally leave them, as one door on one of the sides, is next to a chair, so it's tucked behind the chair.

To have them in the closed position entails moving the chair everytime we want to close them, or leaving the door in a half open position, resting against the chair arm. It would be much better if we could have the doors opening into the dinning room, but on inspection realise it's not as simple as just reversing the door.

There's a different type of architrave on the side the doors open to, than the side they do not. Therefore, I imagine they're not going to open back correctly if the doors just get reversed. . I think the only way this is going to work is to reverse the whole frame, but not sure how to get it out. It seems to be fixed at the walls, celling and floor. It's pretty solid and sturdy and has not moved a millimetre in 25 years. There's many coats of paint on it too, so can't see fixing of any kind anywhere. Any information on how to find these fixings would be very useful.

So if anyone has some ideas on, What sort of fixing will be holding the frame in place? Will I need to get under the floor boards for ceiling fixings? How can I get to the ones in the wall and in the floor?

thank you

Polly

thedoctor

Re: What Type of Fixings Could Hold French Doors Inplace Between Living Room and Dining Room?

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Polly,

If the fame is the same age as the house it's very likely it was fixed onto the various surfaces through the timber and then the glass was installed stopping access to the heads of the screws. This is how most windows are fitted, even todays plastic ones.

The choices then become 1) taking out the panes of glass obscuring the screw heads and release or 2) us a reciprocating, alligator saw or ******* tool to insert the blade between frame and associated surfaces cutting through the screws as they are encountered.

Number 2 is the way we would go but this cannot be achieved without damage to (probably) all surfaces.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get on

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 pm