All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
d4rr3n
Apprentice
Apprentice

What type of shower to go for?????

by d4rr3n » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm

hi all,

Just in the process of refurbishing a bathroom in our house, but am just stuck on what type of shower to install. Currently have a 10.5Kw elec shower which works well but would like a more powerful shower with perhaps a large 12" watering can style showerhead. From looking/reading around I would probably need a concealed (built into the wall) thermostatic shower system hooked up to a twin water pump which would be gravity fed.

At the moment, the house has a combi boiler downstairs for the CH and for DHW to kitchen and bathroom taps. In order for me to have the above shower system I was thinking perhaps to install a direct heated/vented (immersion type, powered by eco 7) water cylinder in the airing cupboard (which is in the bathroom) which would be fed by the cold water tank in the loft, then have a a twin impeller water pump fed by the cylinder and cold water tank to supply the thermstatic shower. Just wondering if this would be a good route to take or is there a better way of acheiving the above.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers :)

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What type of shower to go for?????

by plumbbob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm

d4rr3n wrote:
At the moment, the house has a combi boiler downstairs for the CH and for DHW to kitchen and bathroom taps.

Then why not use the combi to supply the shower?????

Check the boiler output and the mains input water pressure and flow. Suitable boilers will outperform any pumped installation designed for a single shower.

d4rr3n wrote: In order for me to have the above shower system I was thinking perhaps to install a direct heated/vented (immersion type, powered by eco 7) water cylinder in the airing cupboard (which is in the bathroom) which would be fed by the cold water tank in the loft, then have a a twin impeller water pump fed by the cylinder and cold water tank to supply the thermstatic shower. Just wondering if this would be a good route to take or is there a better way of acheiving the above.

A tank heated by an immersion alone will not supply sufficient hot water for a power shower. It will be expensive to run too! IF you are set on keeping the tank, why not use the combi to heat the water in it??

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm